I am still having a hard time believing that the U Street Movie Series is already starting up tonight. Tonight, weather permitting, they will be showing the short This Chair is Not Me and the feature Mr. Smith Goes to Washington at Harrison Field at 14/V. The theme this year will be movies celebrating DC.
As with last year, gates open at 7 and free popcorn will be served to the first 100 moviegoers. The movie will start at sundown. If tonight gets rained out, the movie will show on Thursday.
The full schedule for this summer is below, and while it’s nice to see more family friendly movies, I wish they had chosen some more quality features. Night at the Museum? National Treasure 2? Really?
- June 28 (rain date June 30): The Poodle Trainer, Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian
- July 26 (rain date July 28): Howard Theatre: A Century in Song, 930 F Street
- August 23 (rain date Aug 25): City of Cranes, National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets
- Sept 20 (rain date Sept 22): Big Birding Day, Bag It
- Oct (TBD): Waiting for Superman, followed by community forum on education policy at an indoor location, TBD